The Shards Of Narsil

Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Tiger Cub is Created

Lately, The Cub Scouts have been heavily recruiting in our local schools. My son, Boo, has been bugging us to join for the past several weeks. I was reluctant for several reasons: 1) Problems with accusations of the Scouts of being exclusive of gay and atheist members; 2) The current political climate necessitates a more skeptical view of the U.S. govt. and the scouts seem too pro-govt. to me at times; 3) My son is already involved in soccer and swim lessons and bell choir and isn't that enough? 4) My wife and I are getting weary of our second full-time jobs as taxi drivers for our kids.

Well, all of these reasons pale in the face of a first grader that really wants to do something that may be useful, so last week he went to his first meeting. He loved it and so, he joined. He says he likes it better than soccer.

So, we'll see how it goes. At least it gives us something to think about other than out daughter's violin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home