The Shards Of Narsil

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Illogical Hellfire

The other day, I was listening to a preacher named David Jeremiah. He was preaching one of those good-old-fashioned hellfire and brimstone sermons. At one point he said something that went something like this:

"You may say to me, 'I don't believe in hell'. Well, you may not believe it, but that doesn't change the fact that it exists."

I've heard this argument many times before. I'd be very surprised if anyone finds it convincing. Mr. Jeremiah merely asserted that hell exists, without providing any proof. I could just as easily respond to him by saying, "Well, just saying hell exists doesn't change the fact that it doesn't."

There is no evidence, that I've ever seen, that there is a place called hell. So, I don't really see the point in believing in something that has no basis for support.

I'd be happy to change my viewpoint if anyone ever comes up with any actual evidence, rather than cliches, of hell's existence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shards said...

You are correct--most of the time, the word 'hell' in the Bible actually means 'grave'. We can verify that graves do indeed exist. We can actually go see them. Yep, we'll all go to one, eventually, and, from all extant evidence, that will be the final resting place of our physical bodies.

Dr. Jeremiah was talking about a fiery hell where peoples' souls are punished forever. I see no evidence for such a place at all.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home